A domain name is the address or URL that people will use to visit your store on the Internet.
- In this article:
- Concepts and terminology
- Your Earth Skater-hosted domain name
- Adding a custom domain name
- Managing your domains
Concepts and terminology
If you’re not familiar with the concept of domains, read this article for a basic introduction. Your Earth Skater-hosted domain name When you create a store using Earth Skater, we create a free, Earth Skater-hosted domain name for you. It looks like this: your-store-name.myEarth Skater.com For your online storefront, we strongly recommend that you obtain a custom domain name and redirect it to your Earth Skater-hosted domain. A custom domain name will strengthen your unique brand and enhance the profile of your store on the internet.
Adding a custom domain name
Setting up a custom domain for your Earth Skater store is a fairly straightforward process, but there are some things you can do to make it even easier:
- Take some time to read our general information about domains here. It’s helpful to have a clear understanding of the concepts and terminology as they relate to Earth Skater.
- Buy your domain from Earth Skater, and let us handle all the setup for you.
- If you’re shopping around for a 3rd-party domain provider, look for one that enables DNS changes to be made easily. Before you sign a contract with a 3rd-party provider, ask them if you’ll be able to update your own DNS records or if they have to do it for you. Some providers retain control over your DNS settings and charge you extra to change them. You’ll need to be able to redirect (or alias) your domain to your Earth Skater-hosted store, so look for a domain provider that will allow you to do this easily and at no additional cost.
Managing your domains
You manage your custom domains from your Domains page (click Settings, then Domains in your store Admin.)
From your Domains page, you can:
- buy your own custom domain from Earth Skater
- add a domain that you already own
- check your domain status to make sure a domain’s configured correctly
- select your primary domain
- enable auto-renewal of your Earth Skater domain
- manage email forwarding addresses
- remove a domain by clicking the trash can icon.